18 Apr 2012
Here’s a tip for home owners – checking your roof may save you money, and your life!
Most homeowners are great at keeping up with their home maintenance, but one aspect of property maintenance that can be easily overlooked is the condition of the roof – it’s just not something that we think about every day because it’s not something we tend to look at (unless it’s a shiny new one of course).
Just like anything though, rooves require maintenance from time to time, which should be conducted by a licensed roofing contractor. Things to consider:
- Clean out leaves and other debris from your gutters, and rinse away remaining dirt.
- Trim back trees and branches that hang over your roof to avoid debris, as well as pests from damaging or making your roof their home.
- Look for mould and moss build-up on your roof. If you find any moss, remove it with a special moss removal solution – you may have to consult a professional roofing contractor about this if you’re not familiar with the process.
- Look out for damaged tiles, cracked or missing grout/concrete, misaligned tin sheets and missing rivets, as this can be a sign that your roof isn’t holding up to the weather which can be extremely dangerous in strong weather.
- Check your flashing (the metal strips found around objects like pipes and vents). It’s important to make sure these are kept in good condition and there are no gaps between the flashing and the roof. If flashing is damaged or loose than it will need to be repaired.
- If you have a tiled roof, check the coating on it, because porous tiles hold water, adding to the weight load on your home’s structure and foundation. This can be dangerous if there’s a prolonged period of rain and wind because the integrity of your home may be compromised.
Remember, this is just general information and doesn’t take your home’s circumstances into consideration. Our advice is to consult a licensed professional, but you can use this information to ask the right questions and ensure your home is up to scratch and keeping you and your family safe.
We have two local roofing contractors –
Colin from East Hills Roofing, and you can contact him if you like on 9773 4017 or 0419 462 774.
Or Greg from Budget Roofing and you can contact him on 9774 2699.